Channel 9 Today Show – lamingtons
Channel 9 Today Show July 10, 2013
The lamington is an Aussie icon enjoyed by many around the world and joining us in studio this morning to make a batch a junior gourmet chefs Cassie, Zoe and Ned guided by the expert Liz Long. 10 Jul 2013.
Lamingtons are usually made with sponge cake, which is cubed and coated in chocolate icing and coconut. This is an extra-chocolatey version made with chocolate cake.
Makes 25 lamingtons Cooking and preparation time: 90 minutes
520 g (3 1/2 cups) plain flour
750 g (3 1/2 cups) caster sugar
135g (1 cup) Dutch cocoa
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
120 ml white vinegar
300 ml vegetable oil
70 mI espresso coffee
600 ml milk
500 g icing sugar
60 g (1/2cup) Dutch cocoa
350 ml hot water
2 cups of desiccated coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Butter a 25 x 36 cm cake tin and line the base and sides with baking paper.
2. Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl and stir well.
3. Lightly whisk the eggs in a separate bowl, then add the vinegar, oil, coffee and milk and mix well.
4. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined, being careful not to over-mix.
5. Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
6. To make the icing: combine the icing sugar and cocoa in a bowl and slowly whisk in the hot water, mixing to a smooth, runny sauce.
7. Put the coconut in a separate bowl. Cut the cake into 5 cm squares.
8. Dip the squares in the icing, coating well, then place on a wire rack for a minute or two to allow the excess icing to drip off. Gently roll the squares in coconut and place on a tray. Chill the lamingtons in the refrigerator until the icing is set.